A few minutes from the city center of Cavaillon, you will have access to a natural area
1. Starting from the summit (parking), this easy loop of about 3.5 km allows you to discover the hill and its shady valleys, in all the diversity of its vegetation: pine forests of Aleppo, low scrubland with holm oak trees, olive groves. (Ask for the sheet at the reception). At the wooden pole take the walk path to the left of the parking lot. And go into the scrubland, for about 200 m, down a wooden staircase to the right of the rocky promontory. We start the descent into the valley. (Garrigue degraded following the 2008 fire).
2. Slight ascent opposite (due north) joining the upper road leaving the valley, which one overlooks.
Westerly direction, we have a few wooden ties, gradual climb. You can see 2 HT pylons, go to the last and turn right. We embark on a descending path, wider towards a forest of pine and holm oak trees.
3. At the crossroads turn left into the curve, at the 2nd turn turn left, 50 m right ascending. Stay on the way, we reach the hill road. (Red signage) From the parking lot we cross the road to resume the path through wood to the sign Caves!
4. Continue the climb, after a wooden staircase, on the right a staircase carved out of stone. Orange wired handrail. Viewpoint on the Alpilles. Careful cliff!!! We go back on our footsteps, continue on the path, pass between the feet of the HT pylon, and descend full North. View of the Dentelles de Montmirail. The trail goes up to the hill to the right. Raidillon for 30 m, take the top left and go down. 2 terminals on the path (Roman Way) furrows of the tanks in the limestone rock.
5. We continue the climb, we cross the road to reach the parking lot.
Points of interest:
Splendid view of the Lower Durance Valley up to the Alpilles in background. The Roman Way, some caves dating back to the Neolithic.
Typical plants of scrubland, cotton cistus, myrtle, pistachio, thyme, rosemary, savory. Among the birds, one can surprise red partridges, the discreet blue bird in the cliffs, 5 species of Mediterranean warblers. Blue chickadees, crested, kinglets. Black milans hunting, kestrel hawks....
Discover our editions of the Luberon Heart of Provence to prepare your weekend and holidays: guide, accommodation, hiking...Order