A small village nestled at the foot of the Luberon, Puyvert will charm you with its authenticity. Led in a green setting, it is crossed by the Aigue Brun which flows to the south, in the Durance.
Small village nestled at the foot of the Luberon, it will charm you with its authenticity.
In unspoilt landscapes, with vineyards and olive trees as a backdrop, you will recognize the Provence of Giono, Pagnol or Bosco. Its two dovecotes, its “remarkable” mulberry tree and its 11th century abbey will remind you of the richness of its history.
Further down, the Durance will offer you the freshness of walks by the water...
Not to be missed if you are in Puyvert:
- the primitive village of the Caves “Jas de Puyvert”: cave dwelling completed with buildings still inhabited (private)
- the remains of the feudal castle with its monumental restored dovecote, which counts 3000 glazed boulins (lodging for two pigeons) of four different colors
- some old houses of the 17th century and 18th century
- the Clock Tower, above the town hall, surmounted by a graceful 19th century bell tower.
- the Romanesque chapel at the Caves, former parish church of Notre-Dame
- the majestic remains of the Benedictine priory of Saint-Pierre de Méjean (12th), transformed into a farm and then restored.
The dovecote of Puyvert
It is the only vestige of the ancient 14th century castle built on the hill of Jas de Puyvert.
The building is notable for its impressive size and the number of nests, also called boulins, inside
Rehabilitated in 1989 by the Luberon Regional Natural Park, there are 3,000 terracotta boulins glazed in four different colours linked to the wall by plaster.
He thus became one of the most outstanding dovecotes in France.
Note the magnificent panorama: to the north the Petite Luberon and to the south the Durance Valley.
Discovery of the dovecote and the silkworm farm organized by a resident passionate about the history of her village.
Free visits. Info at : +33 6 18 07 27 11
Discover our editions of the Luberon Heart of Provence to prepare your weekend and holidays: guide, accommodation, hiking...Order